Go or Golang is an open source programming language designed by three Google engineers in 2007 and officially released two years later in 2009.
The Go programming language has been growing rapidly so far and its number of fans is increasing every day. In this article, we want to introduce you to this programming language and the advantages and disadvantages of doing projects.
Introduction to Go programming language
The GO programming language looks exactly like the C language and is just as suitable for highly professional programmers. This language provides you with maximum performance with minimal tools. But it must be said that this language is much more than an updated version of C!
This language has new and efficient features and is fully capable of data abstraction (Data Abstraction) and object-oriented (Object-oriented) programming and is also equipped with an automatic memory management system or Garbage Collection. As you know, manual memory management takes a lot of time and energy of programmers, with this wonderful system you can save your time and money. In addition to this feature, there are no concepts in this language such as constructor, generic lists and exceptions.
Go does not support inheritance, and this feature makes it easier to edit code. For example, in other languages, such as Java or Python, if a class named ABC inherits from another class called XYZ and you are going to make a change in the XYZ class, these changes must be in the classes that inherited from this class. Apply. Therefore, it can be said that removing the inheritance feature has made the Go language better understood.
Given these features, the GO language is suitable for infrastructure development, such as network server programming, and also provides the tools and systems needed by programmers. It is also known as a versatile language for use in the fields of graphics, mobile applications and even artificial intelligence.
The popularity of this language began when it was considered as an alternative to unconventional scripting languages because it had more security, higher speed and fewer bugs and errors. As we said, GO is an open source language so that reference codes are available to developers for free. In addition, if a program is written in the environment of a Golang-supported operating system, it can be easily run on other supported operating systems without any modifications.
History of the origin of the GO programming language
It is interesting to note that some people refer to the Go language as the “21st century C language” because the GO language inherited its structure, data type, valuation parameters, and even markers from the C language. The image below will fully understand the evolution of the GO programming language.
Advantages and disadvantages of GO programming language
- Accurate, flexible, simple and easy to read and understand.
- Very good synchronization and the ability to run multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Development and compilation are very fast.
- Its coding is simply Ruby and Python.
- It has very useful and rich libraries.
- Go has simple range rules.
- The number of keywords in this language is about 25 words. It is much less compared to languages such as Java and C #.
- With the help of Garbage Collector, it manages the memory in an amazing way and prevents delays in execution.
- No object-oriented features of other languages There is no need to class and change the inheritance of codes.
- Google as a designer supports it.
- It has a synchronization function (Goroutine) to create a string (Multiplex) in the operating system.
- Does not support Generic programming.
- The packages produced by this project are very comprehensive and practical, but in no way can it be used as an object-oriented language.
- It lacks the professional user interface tools in the library.
- Use structures instead of interfaces, which can be a hassle in a large application.
- Like similar programming languages, it does not respond to problems created by users.
- Sometimes there is a need for manual memory management.
- It does not work well to fix errors.
- Despite the high speed of coding, the issue of security has not been considered.
- No virtual machine
Projects done with Golang
Since the GO language has been made available to the public as an open source, many applications have been written and designed based on it, some of which we will introduce in the following:
- Caddy is an open source HTTP / 2 web server with automatic HTTPS capability.
- Docker is a set of tools for extending Linux holders.
- InfluxDB is a very popular database for managing and storing time data.
- NATS messaging is a very fast messenger with excellent performance.
Although the above are developed entirely based on the GO programming language, some sites and applications are also being developed with a range of languages, of which GO is one:
- Dropbox, which in many cases has replaced the GO language with Python.
- Google has used this language in most of its projects, such as download servers.
- Netflix uses GoLang for two parts in its site architecture.
- Uber relies on this language to manage the geographic data section of its site.
As well as some other large companies in the world such as:
- Nokia Siemens
Although Go is very different from other programming languages, it has common concepts with languages like C or C ++. In general, the market for programming languages is becoming more advanced and wider. Although most programmers are reluctant to learn new and young languages, most business owners are interested in developing and producing programs based on new languages such as GO.
So keep in mind that learning the new generation of programming languages in the future will further improve and secure your job, but be sure to note that no programming language is an absolute and perfect world in itself, but each They have special efficiency in the right place.