In this article I want to talk about difference between Ruby and Python, we will discuss the key differences between Ruby vs Python. But before jumping into the difference, let us first look at them individually like “What is Python?” and “What is Ruby?”. Let’s start with Python:
What is Python?
Python is a high-level object-orient programming language. It has built-in data structures, combined with dynamic binding and typing, makes it an ideal choice for rapid application development. Python also offers support for modules and packages, which allows system modularity and code reuse.
So It is one of the fastest programming language as it requires very few lines of code. Its emphasis is on readability and simplicity, which make it a great choice for beginners.
What is Ruby?
Ruby is a pure object-orient programming language. Also It is a dynamic open-source language that has a great community behind it. In addition Ruby encourages developers to write software code for humans first and computers second.
Also It is considered similar to Perl and Smalltalk programming languages. Ruby runs on all kinds of platforms like Mac OS, Windows, and all versions of UNIX.
Features of Python
So Here, are important features of Python
- Easy to learn, read, and maintain
- Also It can run on various hardware platforms & using the same interface.
- You can include low-level modules to the Python interpreter.
- Python offers an ideal structure and support for large programs.
- Python offers support for automatic garbage collection.
- It supports an interactive mode of testing and debugging.
- It offers high-level dynamic data types and also supports dynamic type checking.
- Also Python language can be integrated with Java, C, and C++ programming code
- Simple, minimal syntax
- Fast compilation times
- Statically linked binaries which are simple to deploy
Features of Ruby
Here, are important features of Ruby
- It is a general-purpose, interpreted programming language.
- It is a true object-oriented programming language.
- Ruby is a server-side scripting language, so it is very much similar to Python and PERL
- Ruby language can be used to write Common Gateway Interface (CGI) scripts.
- It has a similar syntax to that of many programming languages like Perl and C++.
- Ruby is very much scalable, and big programs written in Ruby can be maintained easily.
- In addition It can be used for the development of Internet and intranet applications.
- Ruby has a rich set of built-in functions, which can be used directly into Ruby scripts.
Differences Between Python and Ruby
Python vs Ruby
Here, are important differences between Ruby vs Python
|Created in 1991 by Guido Van Rossum||Created in 1995 by Yukihiro Matsumoto|
|Python framework Django-Started in 2005 by Adrian Holovaty and Simon Willison.||Ruby on Rail framework started in 2005 by David Heinemeier Hansson.|
|It is very explicit and elegant to read||It can be very hard to debug at times|
|Python is a high-level programming language.||Ruby is a general purpose programming language.|
|Not fully object-oriented programming language.||Fully object-oriented programming language.|
|It has a larger range of libraries.||It has a smaller library than Python.|
|When a variable is set, you can’t unset it back.||It will be present in the symbol table as long as variable in scope.|
|Support multiple inheritance||Support single inheritance.|
|Its lambda functions are larger.||Also It supports only a single line lambda function.|
|And It has methods.||It has functions.|
|Python mainly used for academic and scientific programming.||Ruby is used for web development and functional programming.|
|Python community is very innovative and very web focused.||Ruby community is very stable and but innovates slower.|
|Python has simple learning curve.||Ruby has stiff learning curve.|
|Most important characteristics of Python are: Conservative, code readability, speedy, and efficient.||Most important characteristics of Ruby are: Expressive, efficient, elegant, and powerful.|
#!/usr/bin/python # Python count to 10 i = 0 num = 11 while i < num: print("Inside the loop i = " + str(i)) i = i + 1
#!/usr/bin/ruby # Ruby count to 10 $i = 0 $num = 11 while $i < $num do puts("Inside the loop i = #$i" ) $i +=1 End
|Companies using Python are YouTube, Instagram, Spotify, Reddit, Dropbox.||Companies using Ruby are Hulu, Basecamp, GitHub, and Airbnb, etc.|
|TIBOE rating of Python is 3||TIBOE rating of a ruby language is 11|
|The average salary for a Python developer is $120,255 per year in the United States.||The average salary for a Ruby Developer is $134,029 per year in the United States|
So lets learn the Advantages and Disadvantages of Python and Ruby
Advantages of Ruby
Here, are pros/benefits of using Ruby
- Also Offers freedom to developers to apply creative solutions
- Ruby has a clean and easy syntax, which allows a new developer to learn very quickly and easily.
- Just like Python, it’s open source.
- In addition Ruby language was developed to make the developer’s work faster, and it gives freedom to developers to develop any size of the web app in shorter time duration.
Disadvantages of Python
Here, are cons/drawbacks of using Python language
- Used in fewer platforms.
- Weak in mobile computing, hence not use in app development
- As Python is dynamic, so it shows more errors at run-time
- Under-develope and primitive database access layer
- Absence of commercial support
- Since Python is dynamic; more errors show up at run-time
Disadvantages of Ruby
So Here, are cons/ drawback of using Ruby
- It is not easy to debug tasks in Ruby
- It offers fewer use cases other than web development
- The documentation, as well as community and support on Ruby, are limited.
- Great gems and libraries are difficult to find.
- There is a constant decline in the popularity of Ruby language.
In sum, both Python vs Ruby are fast, efficient, and have a large and loyal community. Python is the obvious choice where a lot of data computing and processing are involved. Ruby fits in scenarios where rapid prototyping of traffic-heavy applications is desired.
For web development, Ruby has Rails, and Python has Django. Both Python vs Ruby are powerful frameworks; however, Ruby is popular and flexible. There is also a very strong community built upon it, and they are always on the edge of development. Also Python is a preferred framework to create web applications that have the additional advantage of being easier to learn.