Continuous advances in information technology and the digital world have created a variety of jobs, the lack of any of which makes the process of doing some things difficult or impossible.
The most important challenge that young people face at the beginning of their careers is choosing a job that has a clear vision. Once the right option has been selected, the next step is to learn skills that align with the chosen skill or job based on a specific plan.
One of the most fascinating jobs in the field of information technology, which has a clear vision and is not going to face any challenge at any time, is software engineering.
Given the importance of the software engineering job title in this article, we intend to get acquainted with the various aspects of this field to get a clear picture of the job title.
What is software engineering?
The Techopedia site describes software engineering as follows:
“Applying engineering principles to produce and deliver quality software products that are reliable and cost-effective and operate efficiently on real machines.
“Software engineering is a systematic, systematic, and accurate way to build and deliver a quality software product.” Software engineering is the opposite of simple programming, which aims to build just one simple application, as software engineering focuses on the implementation of larger and more complex software systems that are used as critical systems in the infrastructure of a large business or organization.
Who is a software engineer?
Based on the definition given in the previous paragraph, we come to the general conclusion that the software engineer analyzes the needs of users, designs a pattern for them, and converts the constructed pattern into code that leads to the formation of software to respond to. Built to the needs of the user.
In software engineering, when the design process is complete, the built-in software is tested in the last step to identify and correct errors or deficiencies. The process sounds simple, doesn’t it?
This is true at first, but when we take a closer look at what a software engineer does, we find that there are many hidden points and complexities when building software that needs to be addressed.
Roles and responsibilities of a software engineer
Software engineers are busy people, and even when they play a role in small companies, they are responsible for handling a variety of tasks.
The most important responsibilities of a software engineer include the following:
- Interact with system analysts, engineers, programmers, and other stakeholders to design systems and gather information about project constraints, potential capabilities of team members, design a roadmap, and implement the methodology on which software is built.
- It is up to the software engineer to edit the code of software that was built in the past and needs to be updated now, or errors have been identified that need to be fixed, or changes to the code must be made to adapt to new hardware and improve performance.
- Identify and analyze the needs of customers and consider whether it is possible due to financial and time constraints to implement the project according to customer expectations or it is necessary to postpone some work to the future.
- Set up customer appointments and specify plans for maintenance and after-sales service for software designed.
- Implementing and launching software systems in the customer’s organizational environment and ensuring that all the features desired by the customer are embedded in the software.
- Implementation of periodic tests and documentation of actions taken to demonstrate acceptable software performance.
- Requirements analysis, specifying the time frame for implementing the various components of software and providing a financial estimate of the software to be built.
- Monitor the performance of the programming team and ensure that each programmer performs the assigned task on time.
- Identify and determine system performance standards.
- Training novice programmers who have little knowledge of technologies or tools that are new to the world of programming.
What important skills does a software engineer need?
If you think the responsibilities assigned to a software engineer are attractive and you want to enter the vibrant world of software as a software engineer, you must first think about learning the skills you need.
The most important skills needed by a software engineer are:
- Ability to analyze complex technical information.
- Ability to analyze business needs.
- High skills in search and research.
- Ability to formulate and solve problems.
- Have experience in building applications.
- Ability to view and analyze source code.
- Familiarity with the proposed software frameworks (Given that there are so many frameworks in the software world, mastering a specific software framework depends on the work needs of the organization you intend to work in).
- Ability to present large strategic plans to implement complex software systems.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and complete them on time.
- Sufficient knowledge of all-purpose and powerful programming languages such as Java or Python.
- Strong skills in identifying problems and providing solutions to them.
- Verbal, written, and spoken skills to accurately describe individual perspectives.
- A full and accurate understanding of computer architecture, operating systems, and data structure.
- Ability to change needs to design concepts and ERDs.
- Debugging capability.
- Excellent performance both individually and as a team (agile and scrum).
- Sufficient knowledge of C, C ++, and C # programming languages.
- Ability to write technical details and reports accurately and precisely.
- Familiarity with popular databases such as SQL Server, Mango Dubai, or other examples.
How to become a software engineer?
Typically, there is a long list of skills and expertise that a software engineer should have, but you do not have to have all of them, but it is important to focus on the key skills that organizations are looking for. By this definition, the steps you need to take to become a software engineer are as follows:
Needless to say, the first step is to enter university in the field of computer science. Software engineering and software technology engineering are the right choices at the undergraduate level. In general, most companies prefer to hire software engineers with at least a bachelor’s degree.
Learn related skills independently
Employers want the job seeker to have experience or at least a set of market day skills in their portfolio. Therefore, it is better to research market trends (preferably Iran) and focus on learning them freely.
Do not underestimate the internship
For many students, internships can add good and valuable knowledge and experience to their skill set. In addition, when you do an internship, you meet people who can make a difference in the future of your career.
Rights of software engineers
The PayScale job search site estimates the average salary of a software engineer in the United States at $ 76,000 a year. The amount of salary received depends on various factors such as location, level of skills, experience, and specialized qualifications of the software engineer.
In Iran, a software engineer typically receives a salary in the range of 5 to 10 tomans per month.
What companies hire software engineers?
The next important thing to know is which companies are looking to hire software engineers. Big companies like Amazon, Yahoo, Facebook, Intel, Google, IBM, Apple, and Oracle are always looking for software engineers.
In addition to the letters, other companies such as Verizon, Dell, General Dynamics, Anthem, and Ciber Inc. are hiring software engineers. The same is true inside Iran, and large software companies are always looking to hire software engineers.
So for a software engineer, there is work anywhere in the world as long as he has the skills needed by that community.
Once you have all the necessary skills, the main decision you have to make is to choose the right option from among the large companies that exist.