It Has Happened Many Times That You Notice That Vmware Tools Are Not Installed On Virtual Machines At The Level Of Your Data Center. Now They May Be Seen Frequently On Linux And Sometimes Windows Operating Systems.
Sometimes the question arises of how and why we should install Vmware tools! In the continuation of this post, I have avoided some points mentioned in VMWare sources to install and use this service on your virtual machines with a better understanding of this service.
Definitely, its installation is mentioned in many of the company’s recommendations and some errors, and in this link, installing and updating it in different operating systems is explained.
VMware tools accelerate and improve the performance and efficiency of the virtual machine operating system and improve the management of virtual machines. Without installing it on virtual machines, the efficiency of the virtual machine loses important activities.
For example, by installing it, you can solve the following problems:
- Low-resolution graphics card
- Improper color depth
- Incorrect display of network card speed
- Move the mouse enclosed
- Inability to copy and drag-drop files
- Sound loss and sound card problems
- Ability to take snapshots of virtual operating systems
The VMware Tools package includes the following components:
- VMware Tools service
- VMware device drivers
- VMware user process
- VMware Tools control panel
- VMware Tools Service
This service starts when the virtual machine operating system boots. This service overrides the information between the virtual machine and the hypervisor on the host. This process runs in the background of the virtual machine called vmtoolsd.exe in the list of processes, which in Mac operating systems called VMware-tool-deamon and in Linux called vmtoolsd.
This service can do the following:
- Pass messages from physical hosting to virtual machine operating systems other than Mac OS
- Execution of scripts that help automate the process of some tasks in the virtual machine operating system.
- Synchronize time on virtual operating systems with hours other than Mac OS
- Ability to move the mouse freely between virtual machines and the main operating system, such as VMware workstation or vSphere client (exit the VM environment)
- When a virtual machine runs under vSphere or VMware Server, heartbeat messages indicating that the virtual machine is running are sent by this service to VMware products.
VMware Tools Device Drivers
Improved mouse movement performance, folder sharing, sound quality, graphics, and network performance are other service capabilities with Device drivers’ help. When installing VMware tools, you can specify which driver to install, depending on the guest operating system type.
Device drivers support the following:
- SVGA driver
- SCSI driver
- Paravirtual SCSI driver
- VMXNet NIC drivers
- Mouse driver
- Audio driver
- Kernel module for sharing folders
- vmblock Module
- vShield Endpoint
- ThinPrint driver
- Memory control driver
- VMCI and VMCI Sockets drivers
- Modules and drivers to support automatic backups of VMs
- VMware User Process
You can support some features such as copy/paste, drag/drop, and unity in VMware products with the user process.
This process starts when the user logs in to the virtual machine operating system. The file for processing is called vmtoolsd.exe in Windows and Linux; it is known as vmusr.