Familiarity with how to score the TOEFL test
The TOEFL test scores between 0-120 for assessing candidates’ English language skills. 120 points is the sum of the points awarded to the four skills of reading, listening, speaking and writing, each of which has 30 points.
Here we are going to evaluate the scores at different levels and how TOEFL scores .
Approximately 6 days after the test, you can view your scores in your ETS account. You will receive an email when your points are available. You can access your account online at https://www.ets.org/mytoefl.
Your scores are valid for 2 years, so you may want to download a PDF version of your test score report from your account. Your score reports are available for download in PDF format within 8 days of the test.
What is the TOEFL test score?
In fact, no passing or passing score has been set by TOEFL or ETS. Each institution or organization determines its approved score requirements according to its English language proficiency requirements. For more information on the interpretation of TOEFL scores, you should contact your chosen institution or organization directly or be informed of the conditions of their acceptance through the website dedicated to the centers.
As shown in the table below, different levels are considered for each of the four skills (reading, listening, speaking and writing). Depending on the score you get, you will be placed in one of these levels, which we will explain in detail below, how much knowledge each of these levels contains and what the TOEFL score is based on.
Below Low-Intermediate (0–3)
Below Basic (0–6)
TOEFL Reading Scoring:
- Advanced (24-30: When your score is between 24 and 30, it means that you can easily study in English language universities. As you know, academic language has a more difficult vocabulary and more complex structures than general language. Achieving an advanced level in the TOEFL test is a high ability to understand, reason and deduce information.
- High-Intermediate (18-23: With a score between 18 and 23, your knowledge is at a level where you can get important ideas and details of the text after reading. High-Intermediate level indicates a correct understanding of Common academic vocabulary and understanding are less commonly used in academic topics.
- (Low-Intermediate (4-17): This range of scores in the TOEFL portfolio means that you can only get some of the main ideas from reading an academic text and have an incomplete understanding of the relationship between ideas and the text is difficult for you to deduce.
- Below Low-Intermediate (0-3: A score below 4 indicates a lower than average level.
TOEFL Listening Scoring:
- Advanced (22-30: Candidates who score at this level will easily understand and receive complex academic conversations and lectures.
- (High-Intermediate (21-27): This level indicates a proper understanding of the main ideas and important details of academic lectures and conversations.
- Low-Intermediate (9-16: When an idea is presented extensively and frequently in a lecture, people with this level can usually get those ideas and tips.
- Below Low-Intermediate (0-8: A score below 9 means that your listening skills are not yet mediocre).
TOEFL Speaking Score:
- Advanced (25-30: When your score is between 25 and 30, it means that you can easily study in English language universities and have the ability to speak in academic language. Achieving an advanced level in the TOEFL test is considered as High ability to understand, reason and infer in English.
- High-Intermediate (20-24: With a score between 20 and 24, your knowledge is at a level where you can communicate and express your idea in English on most general topics. Intermediate) Demonstrates the ability to speak clearly with pauses and stresses, and some details may seem a little difficult to explain to learners at this level.
- (Low-Intermediate (16-19): This range of scores in the TOEFL transcript means that a person can only speak with little clarity in some public conversations. The meaning and incomprehensibility of the content has been placed in this category.
- Basic (10-15: This level indicates a limited ability to communicate. People at this level usually speak at a low speed, use limited grammar and vocabulary, and pause when searching for words.
- (0-9) Below Basic: A score below 10 means that your speaking skills have not yet reached the basic level.
TOEFL Writing Scoring:
- Advanced (24-30: Achieving this level is the ability to write extensively on a wide range of academic and non-academic subjects in English. Produce, write their opinion in English and provide appropriate details and explanations to prove their idea.
- (High-Intermediate (17-23:) Although candidates with this level of writing have the ability to write English texts and comment and develop their ideas in English, sometimes their writings have grammatical and spelling errors.
- Low-Intermediate (13-16: Participants at this level can write simple texts, but often what they write is limited, inaccurate, and inadequately explanatory. There are often many errors in the writing of people who fall into this level.
- Basic (7-12: In the writing of people who are at this level, poor sentence structure, inconsistency and coordination of the text, lack of details and vague phrases are often seen.
- Below Basic (0-6: Candidates with a score below 7 have not yet acquired basic level skills.
Calculation of TOEFL score
The TOEFL score calculation has an ETS-specific formula and structure, and to estimate your score you should be aware of the score of all the questions you have answered.
You must have heard that the estimate of the test score is usually different from what is actually seen, because for example, the scores of your reading and listening department will be evaluated according to the performance of other applicants in the same period. For example, if you may answer 80% of the questions correctly, your score will be reduced because most participants answered more than 90% of the questions correctly. That is, you may get the same number of correct answers in the TOEFL Reading section once 24 and again with the same number 28.
The TOEFL test has 120 points and will hold a competition among applicants around the world. Rather than worrying about the difficulty or ease of the course questions you are taking, it is the ability of other applicants to consider and try to do your best in this marathon. Good luck!