The installation of tire chains during snowfall and on icy roads is necessary and important for proper control and control of the vehicle and is one of the safety issues that must be observed in such weather conditions.
In such a situation, if we intend to drive on steep or belt roads, the importance of using tire chains is doubled. Tying and assembling car tires can be difficult and complicated for those unfamiliar with the procedure; But in reality, this is easier than you might think: just install the tire chains around the tires, move the car gently forward, and secure the tire chains in place.
Of course, each step also has details that you need to be aware of.
Things to Consider When Traveling in the Winter
Before explaining how to fasten wheel chains, it is important to mention two safety tips for those who are unfamiliar with the procedure:
- Before traveling in icy, icy, snowy conditions, you need to know how to fasten your tire chains and practice in advance. Before you reach the icy roads, use a roofed place like a car garage for this purpose. Keep in mind that you will need tire chains when the weather is not good for driving: it is likely to snow, passing cars scattering water and mud around, roads are slippery and even the weather may be dark. Such a situation is not at all appropriate for the first time to get acquainted with how to fasten wheel chains;
- Set up a simple winter travel kit and take it with you on these occasions. This package includes accessories such as warm and waterproof gloves and things like that that will make your trip safe and comfortable. This package, wheel chains and other spare parts that are necessary to install it, are among the items that you should take with you on winter trips.
Step by step instruction on how to fasten wheel chains
a. Wheel chain preparation
1. Buy wheel chains according to the dimensions and size of the car tire
For this purpose, you should know the dimensions and size of the car tire. If you look at the outer edge of the tire, you will see English letters and numbers written one after the other. To buy tire chains you need this information:
- The first number indicates the width of the tire; The second number indicates the height ratio of the tire (the ratio of the height of the tire wall to its width); The third number also shows the diameter of the tire. If you use foreign brands of tires, these numbers will probably be in inches;
- On the same package of wheel chains, it is specified which dimensions and size of the tire are suitable. If you are unsure, find out the appropriate chain size by asking the sellers.
2. Remove the tire chains from the package and unscrew it
If there is a twist or knot in the tire chains, open it to return to its normal shape. This step may take longer than you expect. It is best to prepare the tire chassis before it is time to close it.
3. Select the right tires to fasten the tire chains
The choice of tire depends on the type of car differential. In a single-differential car, power is transmitted to either the two front wheels or the two rear wheels. Due to this issue, it is necessary to connect the wheel chains to the two wheels to which the power transmission takes place.
Another case concerns a car with four-wheel drive: in this case, all four wheels of the car will need wheel chains.
Of course, in the first case, ie single-differential cars, chains can be used for all four wheels for more safety. This is recommended when the roads are too slippery or the weather conditions are very unfavorable.
B. How to fasten wheel chains
1. Attach the wheel chains to the tire
The practical work on how to fasten the wheel chains starts from this stage onwards. Before starting work, it is necessary to park the car in the right place and engage the parking brake. Place the wheel chains longitudinally on the top of the tire. Its length should hang from the edges of the tire, which occupies about three-quarters of the size of the tire. Chains that are stretched from side to side along the width of the tire should also be perfectly straight.
Push the part of the chain that is on the surface of the tire tire with the ground with a little pressure so that the wheel chain does not move when the car is moving.
In some types of wheel chains, rings are attached to the chains. These rings should be close to the ground and the bottom of the tire when fastening the tire chains. In addition, to install this type of wheel chain, you may need to go under the car and make the necessary adjustments to smooth it out.
2. Moving the car forward
Release the parking brake, put the car in gear and move it slightly forward. The goal is for the rest of the tire to come in contact with the tire chains. Since only a small part of the tire is not in contact with the chains (about a quarter of the size of the tire), the desired goal is achieved by moving the vehicle slightly forward.
3. Turn the steering wheel for easy access to wheel chains and fasteners
Turning the steering wheel (so that the tires turn inwards) will make it easier for you to access the wheel chains and fasteners. To do this, do the following:
- If you are installing the tire chains on the left tires, turn the steering wheel to the right so that the tires are facing inwards;
- If you are installing the tire chains on the right tires, turn the steering wheel to the left so that the tires are facing inwards;
- Then get rid of the car and apply the parking brake again.
4. Attaching wheel chains and hooks to each other
Start at the inside of the tire, near the axis of the wheels, and connect the two hook-like edges of the chain. Then attach the hook-like edges to the outside of the tire. Secure the wheel chains in place by turning the clamp.
Special tools can be used to fasten old wheel chains, but it is better not to use this tool to fasten complete chains. There are also special nylon straps that can be used to further tighten the wheel chains around the tire; Of course, these belts must be prepared separately and installed on the chain.
5. Adjusting the wheel chains of the inner and outer parts of the tire
The chains should be straight and stretched along the width of the tire. If the chain appears to be secure on the inside of the tire but not on the outside, you will need to adjust it and tighten it again.
6. Repeat all the steps of how to fasten the wheel chains on another tire
In this step, you need to repeat all the steps described on the other tire. Install the wheel chains on it, adjust the inner and outer parts and finally fasten it in place.
Once you are a little familiar with how to fasten the wheel chains and become proficient in this, you can install the chains of both wheels at the same time and at the same time. The installation speed of the chains will be doubled in this way.
7. Driving 30 meters and re-tightening the wheel chains
Wheel chains may shake while driving or loosen. To prevent this, drive a distance of approximately 30 meters and then tighten the chains again with a special tool or wrench.
How to open the wheel chains
What was explained so far in this article was how to fasten the tire chains on the tires. In the following, we will examine the details of opening the wheel chains in four steps.
1. Open the tire chains as soon as you reach a dry or normal road
If you come out of slippery roads or encounter signs that you do not need tire chains, try to open them. Driving with tire chains in favorable weather conditions not only damages your car tires, but also the asphalt surface of the road.
2. Open the fasteners or rings from the inside of the tire
You need to be on the ground to access the junction of the packages. Turning the car wheels inwards may also make this access easier.
If the tire is on the joints, move the car slightly forward to make it available. If you use special nylon straps to strengthen the chains around the wheels, you need to open those straps before opening the wheel chains.
3. Flatten the wheel chains on the ground after opening them
The tire chains you open will be under the tire and it will not be possible to pull it out at this time. Spread the chain flat and flat on the ground to prevent damage to the tire when the vehicle is moving. The chains should not be twisted around the axles of the wheels or tires in any way.
4. Slowly moving the car forward
Only move the vehicle to the extent that it is possible to remove the tire chains. To prevent rusting of the wheel chains, dry them well before placing them in the package; In addition, avoid twisting them as much as possible so that you do not have to worry about additional uses.
How to drive when attaching wheel chains to a car tire
Apart from how to fasten the tire chains and the details that were mentioned about the work process, there is another important point that needs to be considered: what issues should we consider when driving with the tire chains attached to the tire. In this part of the article, we will give a brief explanation in this regard.
When driving with sprockets, pay close attention to the sounds you hear. If you hear the sound of two pieces of metal colliding with each other, stop the car immediately. If the tire chains are loose or loose while driving, it may wrap around some parts of the car and cause serious damage. Here are some tips to keep your car from getting damaged while driving with tire chains:
- Do not exceed a speed of approximately 40 km / h; Otherwise, the tire or car chains may be damaged;
- Do not drive on dry, normal roads at all;
- Avoid sudden gasping and braking. Sudden locking of the tires or their rapid rotation may cause damage.
Types of wheel chains
In this part of the article, we introduce the types of wheel chains available and usable in Iran in the form of headlines. Depending on the price range and functionality you are considering, you can choose the right model from them.
|Wheel chain type||approximate price|
|Belt Wheel Chains (Freezer Belt)||100 thousand tomans|
|Polymer Wheel Chains (Jelly)||About 230 thousand tomans|
|Freezer belt chains||About 80 thousand tomans|
|Cross or bee chains||80 to 120 thousand tomans|
Each of these wheel chains has special advantages and disadvantages that knowing them along with checking prices can be effective in making a smarter choice. For example, the use of belts, polymers, and other compounds such as these reduce the risk of damage to the car’s upholstery compared to the metal used in older chains. Another type of silk or fabric chain has entered the market, but it is not very popular due to the lack of strong compounds and relatively high price. The use of this type of chain is more suitable for short distances.
Frequently Asked Questions and Tips on How to Fasten and Use Wheel Chains
In this part of the article, we will give you some general tips on how to fasten the tire chains and how to use them in general, and then we will review a number of frequently asked questions about this.
General tips on how to fasten and use tire chains
- Only fasten the tire chains when the thickness of the snow sitting on the ground is at least 2.5 cm. The best time to close the tire chains is during or after heavy snowfall.
- Wheel chains are also common on mud roads; But open it as soon as it enters normal roads (to prevent damage to the tire and the road surface);
- Be sure to fit the wheel chains to fit the dimensions of the car tire. Improper handling of tire chains can lead to an accident. Proper tire chains work better than winter and ice tires because they are thicker and have a greater and better effect on preventing the car from slipping and deviating;
- Always try to bring extra tire chains or trailers, especially if you live in cold, snowy areas. In this case, if the chain used is damaged, you will not have a problem to replace it;
- Do not forget that the dimensions listed on the wheel chain packages are approximate. After attaching them, drive a little and make sure they fit properly. After a while of driving, the tire chain position may change and may not be as tight as before.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible to use wheel chains on all car models?
To find out more, you should check out the tips and tricks provided by car companies. The tire type of some models makes them unsuitable options for using wheel chains. There are other mechanical reasons that limit the possibility of using wheel chains on some models.
Is it necessary to use wheel chains on a car equipped with an anti-lock braking system?
Yes. Anti-lock brakes prevent car wheels from slipping; While the purpose of using tire chains is to have more control and dominance over the car on snowy and icy roads.
Can fabric or silk models be used as an alternative to metal, belt and… models?
It is possible to use these models, but they do not work as well as stronger models, especially when it has been a while since the snow has settled on the road and the snow layers have hardened. Fabric models are suitable for cars that can not use stronger types of wheel chains.
What is the proper thickness of wheel chains?
As long as there is enough space between the tire and the car body. Conventional four-door cars have the longest distance between the tire and the body. This distance is reduced for long-wheelbase vehicles, vans and minivans. Sports cars and those with lower chassis have the shortest distance and it is usually not possible to use tire chains.