Statistical analysis software has many applications in the field of questionnaire information analysis.
In this article, which is taken from the reputable website soc.cuhk , we teach you how to enter the questionnaire information and analyze it with the help of Spss software.
Basic tutorial video- questionnaire information
This video, which is taken from YouTube, explains in Persian how to enter data in SPSS software in a brief and general way, and then you can go to read the rest of the article:
1. Import data using SPSS Data Editor- questionnaire information
1-1- Define variables
- Click Variable view
- Add the names of the variables in the name column, each in a row
- Follow the naming rules
- Define the appropriate data type for each variable
- Numeric is usually the best choice
- For most questionnaire answers, a width of 8 is sufficient.
- Demical decimal numbers are only suitable for relative and distance data
- Just change it to 0 for all other measuring tubes.
- Add a label to the name of each variable that makes the statistical data output more understandable, but this is not necessary for data analysis.
- Values include labels to input possible values in each variable, such as the variable title, this is not necessary
- Define one or more invalid variables such as “not applicable” or an empty answer and… in the missing column
- Unknown values are often examined over and over again during data analysis
1-2- Entering data
- Click data view
- Enter the data in the blank page with the names of the variables as capitals.
- Remember to save the data file every few minutes, do not wait for the last questionnaire.
- SPSS data file has an extension (sav.)
2- Reading text file – Text data file
2-1- Enter data
- Data entry can be done with any text editor.
- For ease of text the data file should be named with the extension (.txt, .dat)
- You may prepare the text file of the data using the MS word program, but make sure that you save it in text format only (TEXT).
- Each line in the text file represents a separate item.
- Questionnaire for a fixed width format
- For data in free format, each value must be separated by a space.
- Make sure you assign an unknown value to each answer.
- No amount of vacancy is allowed.
2-2- Define variables using SPSS Wizard
1. Click on File -> Read Text Data.
2. Select the appropriate data file format and open the file.
3. Follow the wizard to start reading the data text.
4- In the fourth step, define the breaking points between the variables.
5. After completing all the steps, define the names of the variables, unknown values, and so on.
2.3 Read the data and define the variables using the Spss syntax commands
1. Click on File -> New -> Syntax.
2. In the syntax window, type in the syntax to read and define the data.
Merge data files
3-1- Open a SPSS data file
3-2- To connect another data file, you have two options
1- Add cases (consider variables with the same name and format)
2- Add a variable (consider similar numbers)
3.3 To add items or cases, click Data -> Merge Files -> Add Cases
Assume that two (or more) of the SPSS data files have the same number of variables with the same name.
However, unpaired variables will appear. If the SPSS data files are a number of different variables. Select all paired variables then press the triangle in the middle of the page to add to the new composite data file.
The variables to the right will be the ones that are combined and included in the SPSS data file. You may select the unwanted variables on the right then press the triangle in the middle of the screen, all variables are kept out on the left.
If unpaired variables are included in the new data file, the values of zeros (points) are inserted in cases that do not have such variables in their original file. Such zero values are considered by the sPSS as an unknown system (equivalent to unknown values for analysis)
This is a good exercise for using a name in a new file to save a new composite data file – file => save as. To combine multiple data files: Use the spss syntax command.
4- Data cleaning
Examine any out-of-domain responses in each variable.
Analyze -> Descriptive Statistics -> Frequencies
Check any large amounts like $ 100,000 or $ 1 for monthly income.
Return to the questionnaire for questionable answers.
Consider all incorrigible answers as unknown values.
Check for invalid answers.
Conditional questions (dependence) Answer to question 2 If yes, question if, 3
• Data -> Select cases -> If condition is satisfied -> If
- Make sure unselected items are filtered.
After selecting items according to the conditional answer, follow the frequencies to check for invalid values in valid variables.
To stop filtering data items ( Data -> Select cases -> All cases -> OK)
After logically examining and examining the amplitude of all incorrigible answers, consider the values to be unknown.
Go to the Data Editor of the data editor and click on Variable View .
If you have any questions or comments in this regard, please let us know in the comments section.